28 October 2009

The title of my blog

When I was thinking about what to name my blog, all those years ago (ok not -that- many), I think one of the things I thought of was some for of keeping up with me, in the sense of knowing what's going on with me, and the phrase "keeping up" reminded me of a phrase I had learned the summer I worked selling knives, of keeping up with joneses. And it amused me, because it is not at all what my blog is about, and so with the amusing irony, I named my blog.

I have considered different times changing the name of my blog, because I don't think the irony is all that evident, and I think people just disregard the name because it doesn't fit and is confusing, but I have stopped every time I have considered it, because every time I think about the name, I love it.

I think the whole mentality of keeping up with the joneses is simply ludicrous. It is the individual flavors and the differences, the separate passions, and the beautiful lives of individual people and families that make this world worth living in. And when people are a way we want to be, they should be our inspiration, not our competition.

I think the title will stay, simply because it amuses me, and the title of a blog can seem either descriptive or beautiful, and I know mine is neither, and it is a bit of a distraction, and perhaps worse than having no title at all, except for one small fact, and that is that when I think about it, it makes me smile. And for me, that is enough.

1 comment:

Emily W said...

as in I thought you named your blog that because you were making a commentary about you starting a blog and that you were keeping up with the jonses