07 August 2008

Married to my best friend

I just read something on facebook, about how someone was marrying his best friend, and it made me start thinking, and so you can learn about an idiosyncrasy of mine. Lots of people say something like this, or aspire to something like this, and I think it is a good thing, but I have never said it. And there is a reason. It is because to me, the husband shouldn't get to steal both labels. Like...my best friend before I knew Janardan was Stefanie. Why should he get to steal her title when he already gets the title husband? So, it doesn't seem fair to me, so I've never said it, because to me, a best friend is someone else besides my husband. He is obviously the closest to me, and he is my closest friend, but he doesn't get to be my best friend, because that role was taken long before he ever came around. Of course he doesn't care, but, he should see it as a badge of loyalty. Just as I won't give up my best friend for some newer male model, I won't give up my husband for anything else. He's mine and mine forever. I love him, and he is wonderful, but he doesn't get to be called my best friend.

4 comments:

TopHat said...

I know what you mean. I hear people say this all the time and McKay for sure wasn't my best friend when we got married. I think he is now, though.

Carolyn said...

I think you get to have more positive relationships with that mindset, Jennie. I mean, you haven't given up all of your good friendships to become a wife. Although that can be an all-absorbing task, you have reserved some of your love and hopes for many other people you have always been and will always be important to you.

Jennie said...

Thanks Carolyn! And Heather...I think you misunderstand. If I were using the label strictly as who was actually my "best" friend, Janardan would have met that even before we were dating, but I never really used it for him, because, well...he got to get the husband label.

C, J, T, and M said...

Good thought. Plus, best friends are easier to talk to sometimes... :)hehe